Friday, June 8, 2012

American English vs British English


This is part of an assignment that we had to do for a certain course to compare American and British English. The story is rather odd. Read it and judge for yourselves :)

The following are two paragraphs, telling the sad story of a truck driver who has been fully paralyzed. The first paragraph is written in American English, the second in British:
            My name is Kanaan Rafel and I was a truck driver before I became paralyzed. This is my heartbreaking story that I am sure you will sympathize with: My truck was a beauty; it was painted bright blue, a color you could see from miles away. A week before the accident my driver's license was taken away from me as the police caught me driving after I had consumed a large amount of whiskey. After my boss heard of the story, he gave me a vacation and told me to enroll in a rehabilitation program. My mom was not very pleased with the situation and she criticized my irresponsibility every chance she got. One morning I was sleeping on the couch with my pajamas when I woke up to my mom's yelling. She told me that her friends were coming over and that I had to get off the couch, she then left me and I fell back asleep. The doorbell began to ring as her friends arrived. She came back to the couch to make sure I was no longer there. She became furious when she saw that I had fallen back asleep, she went into the kitchen grabbed a five kilogram piece of meat from the freezer and threw it straight towards my head, the center of all my nerves. And since that awful day, I have been fully paralyzed. So I advise all young men to leave their mothers' houses as soon as possible.
My name is Kanaan Rafel and I was a lorry driver before I became paralysed. This is my heartbreaking story that I am sure you will sympathise with: My lorry was a beauty; it was painted bright blue, a colour you could see from miles away. A week before the accident my driver's licence was taken away from me as the police caught me driving after I had consumed a large amount of whisky. After my boss heard of the story, he gave me a holyday and told me to enrol in a rehabilitation programme. My mum was not very pleased with the situation and she criticised my irresponsibility every chance she got. One morning I was sleeping on the couch with my pyjamas when I woke up to my mum's yelling. She told me that her friends were coming over and that I had to get off the couch, she then left me and I fell back asleep. The doorbell began to ring as her friends arrived. She came back to the couch to make sure I was no longer there. She became furious when she saw that I had fallen back asleep, she went into the kitchen grabbed a five kilogramme piece of meat from the freezer and threw it straight towards my head, the centre of all my nerves. And since that awful day, I have been fully paralysed. So I advise all young men to leave their mothers' houses as soon as possible.