Thursday, October 10, 2013

Trying to Adapt to Life in Saudi


I would just like to take a moment to give a virtual high five to all the expatriates who have been able to cope with life in Saudi Arabia. The culture and habits are not very easy to adapt into. If you think about it, life here is very closed. Social interactions are limited. If you do not make your own little community, then you can kiss your social life goodbye.

When you are in Saudi, you have to get in touch with your inner self. You need to know what makes you happy and what makes you miserable because in Saudi you will need to do your best to stay away from what makes you unhappy. This is because it is not easy to get back into your regular mood after you get upset over an incident no matter how simple it is.

This is what happens to me when I get upset in my home country:
-I cry or yell.
-I eat.
-I go out or talk to my friends.

And then your back to normal, but in Saudi it is another story:
-Cry yourself to sleep.
-Wake up and tear some more.
-Eat.
-Go back to bed upset.

Why cannot people just go out into the streets of Saudi normally? Why cannot women walk in their neighborhoods without men gawking at her. What is the problem? Do not tell me the problem is with the people of the country. The problem is us. When we are in our hometowns, we go out and live a normal life. Once we enter Saudi, our modes shift. We become people who do not go out using public transport. We become people who would rather stay home than bother to plan an outing. The problem is not with the country. It it with our attitude change. If we lived in the same way we did in our countries (excluding the gender mixed offices and schools), we would be happier people.

I do not blame anyone for the misery I may be feeling in Saudi except for myself. We have the control over our lives and we are the ones who conditioned ourselves to live in this way.

 Do not curse the darkness when you are the one who blew out the flame.