Monday, March 3, 2014

Teachers are not Robots


 We are supposedly in the 21st century and the workload should now be easier with all the technology and what's not, but the workload for teachers does not seem to be decreasing.

I cannot generalize and speak for all the teachers of the world, for there are countries in which teachers are treated more like humans and less like robots, but from the teachers I have met and the writings I have read by teachers, it seems like they are always overloaded with work.

I do not mind working, of course. I also do not mind teaching, but does it really have to be this way? Do I have to come back home from work and not have any energy  left to do things I would like to do? And I am 23 years old, how will it be teaching when I'm older? Is this the way it is with other teachers, or do I just have a lack of energy?

In August 2014, it will my 2 year anniversary for being a full-time teacher, and so far, I barely ever come home from work and felt energized to go on with the rest of the day. That is of course when I have the rest of the day to myself rather than to lesson plan, prepare materials and activities, and correct papers and put in grades. 

If you are not happy with your workload why don't you leave teaching? A question that might have popped to mind. Well, for now, I am happy with teaching. I would not like to work in an office and see the same people everyday for a few years; working with students is much more dynamic and interesting. In addition, teaching is very rewarding. When you see an improvement in your students, what more can you ask for?

To make a long story short, I want to teach, but not five hours a day/25 hours a week.

How many hours do you think teachers should teach per day?